Ines de la Fressange, ex muse of Karl Lagerfeld and all round epitome of French elegance has very kindly written a book showing us all the error of our ways. No more slovenly Scouse style now we have access to the secrets of Parisian chic.
Do you want to hear my pick of the tips? Then keep reading.
- The secret of great style is to feel good in what you wear. The Parisian knows her shape, what suits her, and what matches her lifestyle.
- When shopping - always ask yourself 'If I buy this will I want to wear it tonight?' If the answer is non...it's time to leave the store, and fast.
- Wear a little wool sweater with your ball gown (note from me- if you own a ball gown where on earth are you drinking?)
- On shoes - The key to sex appeal is a feline walk, not a precarious wobble.
- Better a genuine straw bag than a fake luxury label.
- Never ever wear a chunky necklace with big earrings - you don't want to look like a Christmas tree!
- Never follow fashion blindly - Be aware of current trends and embrace their subtler forms.
Now some of these pearls of wisdom are quite frankly ridiculous but in the main she does give good advice, and you can't deny she does look good. Just beware of her advice to wear a navy cashmere jumper with white jeans, you may end up looking like Elizabeth Hurley and that would never do.